I am not scared of all the witches, zombies, and assorted goblins wandering about on Halloween. What really scares me is the meat industry.
This is the industry that:
* Mutilates, cages and butchers billions of cows, pigs and other sentient animals.
* Feeds carcasses of cats and dogs killed in pounds to chickens.
* Exposes undocumented workers to chronic workplace injuries at slave wages.
* Exploits farmers and ranchers by dictating wholesale market prices.
* Punishes documentation of its abuses through unconstitutional "ag-gag" laws.
* Promotes world hunger by feeding nutritious corn and soybeans to animals.
* Generates more greenhouse gases than any other human activity.
* Generates more water pollution than any other human activity.
* Creates a permanent "dead zone" in the Gulf of Mexico that dwarfs the BP oil spill.
* Creates deadly antibiotic-resistant pathogens by feeding antibiotics to animals.
* Creates epidemics of salmonella, listeria and other infectious diseases.
* Promotes mortality from diabetes, heart failure, stroke, cancer and other diseases.
Now, that's really scary. And this is why I am dropping animal products from my menu.