New this fall: Life-Long Learning. GPL will offer two six-week series led by skilled facilitators. The first series features the TED Talks, brief, inspiring online lectures on a wide range of topics in the realms of Technology, Entertainment, and Design. Led by Mary Athey Jennings, the discussions will feature some of the more popular TED talks and will run Tuesdays, 1-2:30 p.m. from Sept 18 - Oct 23. TED talks are free and available online at www.ted.com.
Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do? is the second LLL series, led by Greg Baker. It will run Wednesdays, 7-8:30 p.m., from Oct. 3 to Nov. 7. Participants will watch six of Harvard Professor Michael Sandel's lectures from his course "Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do?" The entire course is available online free of charge at AcademicEarth.org which features many courses from top universities.
Sign up for one or both LLL series online at gpl.org. Click on "Calendar" for Sept. 18 for TED Talks and Oct. 3 for Justice. Or, call the Library Director Owen Shuman, at 978-448-8000.
Returning this October: Memoir Writing Workshop: "Stories Only You Can Tell" led by Zoa and Zoanne Guernsey. Register at gpl.org and click "Calendar" for Oct. 9. This six-week series meets Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. from Oct. 9 - Nov. 14.
Returning this fall: GPL offers five popular monthly
* Great Books meets the second Thursday starting Sept. 13.
* Mystery Book Group meets the third Thursday starting Sept. 20.
* GPL Book Group meets the fourth Tuesday starting Sept. 25.
* For Young Adults: Hot Books, Hot Chocolate! for Grades 6-9 and face2face for Grade 10-12. Visit gpl.org and click on "Calendar" for details.
Fun with Art Events:
* Awaken Your Color Spirit: Fabric Dye Workshop, Saturday, Sept. 8, 10:30-1:30, Ages 14 - Adult.
* Art Gallery: Painting in My Backyard by Cathy Chin. Reception, Thursday, Sept. 13, 6:30-8 p.m.
* Pastel Workshop: Que Sera, Seurat! by Gregory Maichack, Tuesday, Sept. 18, 6-8 p.m. Ages 16 - adult.
Don't miss Language Conversation Groups. Spanish starts Tuesday, Sept. 18 at 7 p.m. and French meets Thursday, Sept. 27 at 7 p.m.
What do you want to learn in our computer labs? Online genealogy searches? Downloading ebooks? Job searches/resumes? Let us know! Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 978-448-8000.
Favorite children's programs are back:
* Weekly story times : Mother Goose Story Time for Infants - 2 Year Olds starts Wednesday, Sept 12 from 10:30-11 a.m. and 11:15-11:45 a.m. Story Time for 3, 4 & 5 Year Olds begins Thursday, Sept. 13 from 10:30-11 a.m.
* Tales and Tunes for Tots, Friday, Sept 14, 10:30-11:15 a.m.
For more information on events, the art gallery, and museum passes, visit www.gpl.org.