HAMPTON, N.H. -- Unitil Corporation is proud to announce the 2014 recipients of the Unitil Scholarship Fund.
The program was created in 2011 to support students who demonstrate outstanding potential for careers in science, technology, engineering or math. Five high school seniors from the company's service territories in New Hampshire, Maine and Massachusetts pursuing degrees in these areas will each receive $5,000 for their first year of undergraduate study.
These students are:
* Marrissa Amitchetti of Townsend, Mass., a graduate of North Middlesex Regional High School. Marrissa plans to study Biological Engineering at the University of Connecticut.
* Abigail McDonough of Greenland, N.H., a graduate of Portsmouth High School. Abigail plans to study Bioengineering at the University of New Hampshire.
* Ariana Moran of Atkinson, N.H., a graduate of Pinkerton Academy. Ariana plans to study Biology at Dartmouth College's pre-med program.
* Leah Forrest of Bow, N.H., a graduate of Bow High School. Leah plans to study Electrical Engineering at Cornell University.
* Rhyan Paquereau of Biddeford, Maine, a graduate of Biddeford High School. Rhyan plans to study Forrest Resources and Conservation at Unity College.
Also as part of the program, a sixth student who is the child of a Unitil employee was also awarded a scholarship. Jackson Place of Exeter, N.H., a graduate of Exeter High School, was selected to receive this unique award.
Each of the students was selected by a committee of Unitil employees local to their specific region. Upon receipt of registration in a degree program with a declared major or concentration in science, technology, engineering or math, Unitil will issue a $2,500 check on the student's behalf for the fall term. The remaining balance will be paid prior to the start of the spring semester.
"Unitil is proud to support local students as they pursue their dream careers in science, technology, engineering and math," said Unitil Vice President of Communications and Public Affairs Carol Valianti. "We wish them great success as they move on to the exciting next chapter in their educational careers."
The Unitil Scholarship Fund joins the existing Unitil Energy Systems Inc. Scholarship Program, which supports students from the Exeter Area, Sanborn Regional, Timberlane Regional and Winnacunnet high schools, as well as the Peter J. Stulgis Scholarship Fund for students from St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Dover, N.H.
More information on the Unitil Scholarship Fund can be found at unitil.com.