Thanks to generous contributions from the community, the Groton-Dunstable Education Foundation is pleased to announce it has received more than $24,000 in donations during this year's Annual Giving Campaign, closing in on its goal of raising $30,000 for enrichment grants to district schools.
At the end of January, GDEF received 10 new grant applications totaling more than $75,000 in requests from district teachers and staff. GDEF plans to announce those awards by the end of March.
GDEF asks residents to consider a donation to help close the gap and fund as many classroom grants as possible this year. To make a gift, visit gdefinc.org and click on the "Donate Now" icon.
In addition, GDEF has been awarding mini-grants for up to $500 on a rolling basis this school year and will continue to accept those applications through April 30. To date this school year, GDEF has awarded 11 mini-grants totaling $4,830, with the most recent grants funding the following:
* a VEX Robotics kit for use in the high school's Robotics club and engineering/technology classes
* updated materials for the middle school library covering "New World" countries
* curriculum materials for the high school's human development course
* "Noodle Tools" online research tool for high school students
* "Literacy through Music and Poetry" program for Swallow-Union first-graders
* support for the first parent-organized Elementary Science Fair on March 22
* sound equipment for high school senior project students
* a presentation by a costume historian for the High School's Women's History Month
GDEF is also pleased to have contributed a $1,500 sponsorship toward the high school's third annual Women's History Month program.
GDEF's popular Trivia Night fundraiser returns for just one night on Saturday, March 15, thanks to the help of the high school's National Honor Society. Head to the Main Street Café, Groton, for a fun night with friends and neighbors hosted by DJ Bob. Doors open at 6 p.m. for dinner (BYOB) and trivia begins at 7 p.m. with $10 admission at the door.