By Dianne Bunis
Welcome autumn with its cool air, changing leaves and local orchards of sweet apples, which brings to mind warm apple crisp.
For this recipe I combined Macoun and Granny Smith; you can use your favorite variety. This delicious, spicy and sweet version will satisfy anyone, gluten-free or not, but it's a good idea to give yourself a break from wheat. Enjoy!
Gluten-free French apple crisp
3 cups apples, washed, peeled & cored, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon ground Saigon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup Arrowhead Mills Organic Gluten-Free Baking Mix
1/2 cup organic unsweetened almond milk
pinch of sea salt
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon canola oil
2 organic eggs
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/3 cup Arrowhead Mills Organic Gluten-Free Baking Mix
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoon unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
1/3 cup chopped walnuts, optional
Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 325°F, prepare 9x9-inch porcelain or glass baking dish using Spectrum organic shortening. In a medium bowl, combine apples, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon zest, spread evenly in prepared baking dish.
2. Whisk eggs into bowl, add almond milk, oil, salt and baking mix, combine well. Pour mixture over apples.
3. In a small bowl mix topping, use pastry blender or fork until ingredients resemble crumbs; sprinkle on top of apple mixture.
4. Place baking dish in center of oven and bake 45-50 minutes, until apples are bubbling. Then move dish to top rack and broil for 5-6 minutes until lightly golden, careful to not burn.
5. Remove, cool on a wire rack and, using your fingers, sprinkle top with Turbinado sugar. When slightly cooled, serve with fresh whipped cream or vanilla gelato. Store in refrigerator (if there's any left!).