By Robert Mills

MediaNews

LOWELL -- An 11-year-old girl was taken to a city hospital with serious burns to her forehead Tuesday afternoon after a parent called 911 and reported her daughter's face caught on fire when the girl's hair got stuck in a toaster.

Emergency crews were called to a home at 32 Swift Street in Lowell about 4:30 p.m., in response to the 911 call.

Firefighters and EMTs walked the girl out of the home and then had her sit on a stretcher before she was taken to Lowell General Hospital.

Two to three inches of burned skin was visible on the girl's forehead, and some of the skin appeared to be peeling away.

Police said it appeared the girl suffered second or third degree burns. More information on her condition was not immediately available.

The girl's family told officers the girl was looking down into a toaster that was in use when her hair got stuck in the toaster, according to police.

Police said the Department of Children and Families will be notified. The girl's mother went to the hospital in the ambulance with her daughter and could not be reached for comment.

Follow Robert Mills on Twitter and Tout @Robert_Mills.


Advertisement